Saturday, September 22, 2007

Re-discovering the DC Metro area



I thought I was gonna be grounded in Ramadan. After a heavy travel season through summer and the subsequent move to PA, I was just gonna relax at home over the weekends, at least a few weekends. Whatever!! In the last 5 weekends since I moved to PA, I've been out in 4 of 'em. First, it was Philly, then Toledo, and then last two weekends down to the DC area. I've been to DC back in '98, my brother and I drove up there from Wichita to meet my dad who was in town for work. We went sightseeing and such back then, but there's so much to see/do around here. So, last two weekends I had an excuse to drive down to DC. My buddy Yasir was visiting for work for a few days. He was gonna be in Columbia, MD, he called me up and it didn't take much persuasion. First time around, we went to Georgetown and had Shisha at the Prince Cafe. Very cool place and lively atmosphere. We also got to go to downtown DC and checked out some of the monuments. Then, we got to check out Baltimore which was also pretty cool. The Ravens stadium is right in downtown Baltimore and that Sunday they were playing someone I can't remember, so we saw some happy Ravens' fans tail gating and all. Just like any big city, food is great in the greater DC area. There's tons of Afghani/Persian places, lots of Desi restaurants and loads of Arab Shisha bars. First weekend, we got to try Maiwand and Ravi Kabob House. Both were great. Second time around, we checked out O's Place, a weird name for a Pakistani restaurant. Word of caution for people with allergies, DC is bad, stay away from it! I took Zyrtec both the times, but I was miserable, just wanted to stay inside the hotel room, which the Sheraton in Columbia is pretty cool. The lake in the back makes for a pretty sight and the jogging track around it is even cooler, that is, if your allergies are not killing you...

No comments: