Sunday, September 9, 2007

First weekend in Harrisburg

This is my first weekend here in Harrisburg, both last weekends I was out to Philly and then Toledo. I can see this place getting really boring, wow! I had to work on Saturday morning so that took care of at least a portion of the weekend. Later in the afternoon, I went jogging along the Susquehanna river which goes through the city. There were more people fishing than jogging or walking or biking along the river. Maybe it's cause it was really hot. The paths along the river are nothing like the ones by Charles river in Boston. Now, that's somewhere you wanna jog, very clean and well maintained and always full of people. Come to think of it, in my last few years consulting, I've lived in 5 cities and all but one of them had a river going right through the city. Susquehanna in Harrisburg, Charles in Boston, Arkansas in Wichita, Mississippi in St. Louis. Dallas is the only one without a river, although there were a couple of lakes. Comparing these to Riyadh which is where I grew up, the closest water body is 250 miles away. Riyadhians get their water desalinated from Arabian Sea at Dammam port and pumped all the way to Riyadh. I went Shisha smoking at Skewers tonight, it was really bland and tasteless. The Kabab wraps were pretty good though. At least living in downtown, you've got your nightlife and weekends covered if you're in the whole bar/club scene, which I'm not... so Lamb Kababs were quite exciting to me :)

Talking to locals at work, I also found out Three Mile Island is only few miles from Harrisburg and is actually visible from downtown. This is the place where the worst nuclear civilian disaster in the US history took place back in 1979.

No comments: