Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My maiden voyage on Amtrak

This actually happened a couple of weeks ago, but I was just not able to do a write up right afterwards. So, my roommate and I had to go to Philly over the weekend to drop off my rental car which I picked up at the airport there when I flew from Wichita to Philly. The rather economical and practical way of coming back, we decided, was to hop on the Amtrak which takes 1.5 hours and you're home with $7 less in your pocket. And the best part is the Amtrak station here in Harrisburg is less than a block from our apartment. I'm totally unimpressed by them. This was my first time hopping on one of their trains, and almost everything that could've gone wrong did go wrong.
- First, their kiosks wouldn't work at the downtown Philly station, so couldn't get the tickets electronically.
- Then, when we approached the counter, the system was down, so they had to hand write the tickets.
- Also, they weren't able to accept plastic, only cash.
- Finally, the train was 50 minutes late.

I'm like what the f*ck? But my roomy, who travels with them pretty regularly, tells me that my first experience was definitely an anamoly, and they're usually quite solid. I have yet to see it though...

- And yeah, the stewardess lady was sooo friggin' loud, annoying as hell!

BUT I got to try the real Philly Cheese steak sandwich at the station which was simply delicious.

No comments: